Friday, April 29, 2011

Potty Boot-Camp Day 3

Letting go.

I have learned a very valuable lesson today in potty training.

"Just because I want him to pee, that doesn't mean he is going too."

What I mean by this is, no matter how much I wanted him to pee on the potty it wasn't going to happen unless he wanted to too. I could make him sit on the potty but unless he needed or wanted to go, nothing I was doing was going to MAKE him go. I could beg and I could bribe, but none of that really mattered. I just had to let go. I had to realize that he was not going to make it every time. I really had to accept that this is going to take time. Yes I wanted it to happen overnight, but I want to win the lottery too. We don't always get what we want.

Today was easier, but he only peed on the potty once out of the 3 times he went. I think he is learning to hold it. I mean after a gallon of grape juice only peeing 3 times. The kid must have a bladder the size of Texas. But progress is progress, I will take it where I can find it these days.

We did try the new routine today and it worked A LOT better for mom. We started with 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off. The good thing is that mom was not in the bathroom all day. I set the timer and told him to listen and when it went off he could get up. So he would go in and sit. I only went in about every 3 times and I would read a book or spend a few minutes with him. He was pretty happy with this for about the first 3 hours. Then it became too much for him he was tired of sitting in the bathroom. He was becoming restless and I had to be in there more and more. I didn't mind but he was becoming more and more irritable and frustrated.

So we then started going every 15 to 20 minutes and that worked a little better, but he still wasn't peeing. He had held it for almost 6 hours. I was desperate for a shower so I put him on the potty in my bathroom while I jumped in. What do you know. He started peeing! It was going everywhere, he was screaming, and I was covered in soap from head to toe. I jumped out of the shower (almost busted my butt) to try and help him hold it down (his penis). When I did though he stopped and didn't want to start again. I sat and sat and sat and nothing happened so I told him good job and we went back down stairs. I turn my back for 2 seconds and when I turn around he had finished peeing ALL OVER THE FLOOR. I was so frustrated, but I refused to let him see. I got him a towel and the laundry basket. I made him clean the floor, then change his under pants, and finally put the laundry basket away. I did let him know that I was very disappointed in him and that I was not happy at all.

I think we are still going to change things up again tomorrow. I think I will give him longer time in between when he gets off the potty and when he goes back on. I also think naps are going to be coming back tomorrow. He is just getting too tired. By 2 he is beat and sick of the whole "potty" thing. So I think for both our sanity we will be doing naps tomorrow. A nice little break in the middle of the day sounds heavenly to me.

This does seem like a never ending battle. I have to teach him to pee on the potty. Then to poop. Then hold it down. Then to stand and pee. When I start thinking of everything that is still left to do I do get very discouraged. But I am committed. I will NOT go back to diapers. I can not say there aren't moments that I start replaying my old excuses in my head. But I have to stay strong. I have to stick to it. I can't give up. He isn't going to train himself.

This is a learning process for both of us. So I will continue to change things. And I will continue to hope a pray that something sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind............